What if you’re stuck in an unfamiliar place and you can’t even ask around for directions because of language barriers? You have your trusty Google Maps! But if you don’t have any internet connection…
Never fear, offline maps are here! When you only want to get to your destination and all you have is your phone… time to bring out your maps.
- Note: Downloading offline maps isn’t available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.
Install the app.
Direct Link: Google Maps – Transit & Food
For the first few steps, you will have to be online. Before you get to download maps, log in to Google Maps first!
1. Open Google Maps.
2. Tap “Always Allow” to let the app access your locations.
- If you want the app to access your location only when you are using it, tap “Only While Using the App” instead. Selecting “Don’t Allow” will disable the app from providing you services.
3. When you are logged in to your Google account on your phone, Google Maps will automatically sign you in.
- If you’re not logged in or if you want to change the account, tap the Menu button on the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Tap the account name at the bottom of the menu.
- Choose another Google account that is logged in on your phone.
- Or log in to a different account.
- You can use Google Maps while signed out by tapping “Use Maps without an account”. However, you will not be able to download offline maps.
Now that you’re logged in, you can definitely start downloading the maps that you will need offline!
For Specific Locations
1. Search for the location.
2. Tap the information panel.
3. Then, view options by tapping the button on the upper-right corner.
4. Tap “Download offline map” and review the area you need directions for.
- If you want to download a bigger map, just tap on the screen and zoom in or out.
5. When your map is ready, tap “Download“.
- If you want to exit the app while downloading, tap “Turn On” to be notified when the process is done.
6. Wait for the map to be downloaded.
For General Locations
1. If you don’t have a specific destination in mind yet, just search for the city or a more general place.
2. Open the information panel.
- For general locations, you will immediately see the download button. Click on it to start the download.
3. Scale your map and then tap “Download“.
Use Google Maps Offline
Check Your Offline Maps
1. Tap the Menu button again to find your offline maps.
2. Tap “Offline Maps”.
- You will find a list of your downloaded maps. You can also see your ongoing downloads here.
3. Tap on a map and you will see the download information, which includes the area, expiration, and file size.
- You will not be able to access a map offline once it expires. Just tap “Update” to redownload.
Go Offline and Use the Map!
1. Search for the location.
- Note that we are accessing the map without internet.
2. Check out the area by dragging the map around!
3. You can view their information even offline! Tap on a location to know more!
- View the information panel and find out what you need to know!
Never Lose Your Way!
With Google Maps offline, you never have to worry about getting lost! Just make sure that you have the map saved in your account. Can’t speak the area’s language? It’s okay! Google Maps can still take you there. Get to your destination as if you‘ve been there before!